"A vulture's beak is its main ripping tool; strong and powerful enough to tear the toughest cow hide" ... or, my calves. My buddy the Turkey Vulture at Raptors has been gunning for me since day one. During Saturday's show, he flew off. I got sent to monitor him and keep him away from visitors. I found him perched on top of a concession hut and when he saw me, he locked on and lept down as though he was going to land on my shoulder. I spun and he landed on the ground next to me. I tried to herd him away from the crowd, which was pretty easy since he wasn't paying attention to anything but me... The next 10 minutes were spent with me dodging his attacks and him 1) untying both my shoes, 2) unrolling my pant cuffs, and 3) bruising the crap out of me legs, including 5 good grabs that broke the skin (through my thick pants!). Oh, and people were, of course, watching and taking pictures of me with a vulture stuck to my pants... and there were those really smart parents that let their little kids walk over to an obviously aggressive animal... duh.
Monday, October 15, 2007
Attack of the Turkey Vulture...
"A vulture's beak is its main ripping tool; strong and powerful enough to tear the toughest cow hide" ... or, my calves. My buddy the Turkey Vulture at Raptors has been gunning for me since day one. During Saturday's show, he flew off. I got sent to monitor him and keep him away from visitors. I found him perched on top of a concession hut and when he saw me, he locked on and lept down as though he was going to land on my shoulder. I spun and he landed on the ground next to me. I tried to herd him away from the crowd, which was pretty easy since he wasn't paying attention to anything but me... The next 10 minutes were spent with me dodging his attacks and him 1) untying both my shoes, 2) unrolling my pant cuffs, and 3) bruising the crap out of me legs, including 5 good grabs that broke the skin (through my thick pants!). Oh, and people were, of course, watching and taking pictures of me with a vulture stuck to my pants... and there were those really smart parents that let their little kids walk over to an obviously aggressive animal... duh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment