"A Great Pyrenees is an intelligent, sometimes willful animal. They have minds of their own and are not easily obedience trained. Things that you consider important may not be the same things your Pyrenees considers important." This quote comes from the Great Pyrenees Club of America site and is so, so true. I remember when I was considering adopting Scout (ew, she was named Lil' Bit at the Shelter) and was reading tons of stuff on Great Pyrenees. I was perhaps a bit overzealous and thought, eh, I'm willful, I'm tough, I'll work it out with that dog, I'll be the boss. Well, almost 4 years later I'm getting nostalgic and the first few years were darn hard at times. Sometimes it would take up to a 1/2 hour to catch Scout in the backyard, and if she got loose, oh dear, no amount of calling would do a darn thing. Now you (well, at least me) can catch her no problem: you go in the yard, you spot her, make eye contact and say "come, Scout" and sometimes she comes. If she looks like she is going to walk away, you say "WAIT" and she stops, then you can go grab her collar and she'll walk along next to you. The days she comes and walks with me without me holding her collar make me so proud! Such progress and my little girl is going to be four in just over a week, and happily, for large breeds, Pyrs have pretty long life expectancy, usually about 10-12 years. Anyway, I'm really fixated on her birthday this year and am so happy with what a wonderful dog she is and all the things she can do if you have the patience to do them with her! Shout out for Scout!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment